Preface: If you are an individual who has decided to reject God, Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, the following message does NOT pertain to you. Put another way, if you have made this world and the things in it your god(s), the following will make little to no sense to you. This has been inspired by the hand of God through Christ Jesus, and it is meant to speak directly to God’s children by the power of the Holy Spirit.
You call upon the same human-limited resources. You beckon the same worn out tools. You apply the same ambiguous methods. And, you devilishly depend upon the same self-centered strategy that will, once again, set you on a direct collision course with yet another year of human desperation and fruitless frustration.
In other words, reliance upon your limited human self to achieve any goal, solve any problem, or satisfy any need, will drag you down into yet another wasted season of absurd suggestions. These absurd suggestions and ideals are supplied by sinfully substitute human gods/idols. Such godless idols commonly come in the form of senseless self-help elixirs, selfish self-help gurus, and an ever-meandering array of world-constituted, “It’s all about me” attitudes, behaviors, and lifestyles.
Making a covenant with the same self-satisfying, fleshly and flawed spirit will always render the same results: Resolute failure.
Thus, self-help resolutions are pre-destined to fail, while God ordained plans always succeed (Romans 8:28).
In Proverbs, chapter 19, verse 21 Solomon, inspired by the hand of God teaches us, “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”
Therefore, in order to exceedingly fulfill your New Year’s resolution plan, or any plan for that matter, you must passionately seek God’s will for your life rather than your own brand of self-imagined, self-contrived, self-delusional design. As God commands us by His all-loving, all-powerful, and all-life-giving holy Word, we are to, “Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans,” as we abide by Proverbs 16:3.
So, we can know by God’s Word that self-help is no help at all. In order to call for or experience change, a resolution, a New Year’s resolution, we must put our complete trust in God and never upon your own flawed, finite, human understanding. In fact, God says just that in Proverbs 3:5. We must boldly ask and answer to God in all things, in all conditions, and circumstances. We must never be fooled with any expectation of true everlasting victory. We must never exchange or sell our soul by becoming seduced by chasing the winds of the anti-Christian strategies pitched by any human, self-help proponent.
To genuinely achieve a goal, solve a problem, or satisfy a need, we must rely upon God first. That means, we must trust God above any and all things and all peoples!
We can be assured by God’s Word; self-help is no help at all. And, if your plan is not God’s plan, be prepared to fail or far worse. Think about it: Your depraved human plan against God’s perfect plan. And you wonder why people fail. If a winning New Year’s resolution is on your mind, the only way you will reach “mission accomplished” status is to trust God and lean on Him for everything.
To win, we must lean on God. To win, we must fully trust everything to Him. How can you “Trust in the Lord with all your heart?”
Here are 7 thoughts and behaviors to help you draw nearer to God and trust Him more:
- Shift from Self-Dependent to God Dependent: Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33).
- Cry Out to God: When we pray, we admit that His ways are higher than ours. We show that we’re leaving our troubles and burdens and dreams in His capable hands. In fact, the Bible promises that when we reach out to Him in prayer, He hears us: “Evening, morning, and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice” (Psalm 55:17).
- Flee from Evil: “Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart” (2 Timothy 2:22). By God we can even escape the influence of Satan himself as Jesus’ brother James shows us: “Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you” (James 4:7).
- Make and Keep God First in Every Area of Your Life: “Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine” (Proverbs 3:9–10).
- Assess You by God’s Word: We find it difficult to honestly evaluate ourselves. We will go to great lengths to excuse our behavior, our actions, and our sins. Jeremiah explains the heart’s deceit and beyond cure in Jeremiah 17:9. And in 1 Samuel 16:7, God has said, “man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.” The apostle Paul, in his letter to us, 1 Corinthians 13:5, directs us to: “Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith.”
- Listen to the Holy Spirit: When Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to the church; He told His disciples that this Counselor would be their spiritual compass or GPS: “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” (John 14:26). The apostle Paul is insistent about the power of the Holy Spirit as he teaches us in his second letter to Timothy, chapter 1, verse 14: “Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.”
- Rest in God’s Love: Trusting God takes a whole-hearted daily commitment. But we’re never alone in it: “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).
We can be assured by God’s Word; self-help is no help at all. For 2018 and forever, make your best New Year resolution decision to trust and rely upon God in all things. Or, why not flip a 180 turn from anything self-help to all things God-help? Self-Help equals sin. Sin equals eternal death devoid of God. God-Help equals righteous, sanctification, and eternal life in heaven with God.
Without God you would have no life at all. Outside of Christ there is no reality. There is no logic. There is no reason for anything. Everything was made for Christ. Your next breath comes from Christ and is to go back to Christ.
We must fully depend on Jesus, without Him we have nothing, but with Him we have everything. When you don’t have Christ you have no power over sin, Satan, and you don’t truly have life.
The Lord is our strength, He directs our lives, and He is our deliverer. You need the Lord. Stop trying to live life without Him. Repent and put your trust in Christ.
Onward boldly in Christ Jesus, t 🙂
Listen to the entire Alive in Christ Radio LIVE program, as aired live on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Why Self-Help New Year’s Resolutions Fail
If you’re a Christian and you’re quite done with being made to feel like society’s foolish outcast, we’ve got the best and most powerful good news for you. All that silliness stops right here, right now because tonight God leads you and us through a paradigm pertaining to why self-help New Year’s resolutions derail long before getting started down the track. Tonight, be prepared to get righteously fired up for Jesus as we tear back and expose yet another slimy layer of the devil’s moronic parlor tricks, mind games, and terminal tactics. Brothers and sisters, we have all we need to defeat him every time. We have Christ Jesus! Amen? t 🙂